Sunday, October 31, 2010

Recycling in Marion & Grant County

Okay Jaena, here it is!

Recently I was with a bunch of girlfriends and we were talking about recycling in the area and how to go about doing it.  I made some calls to make sure I have all the correct info for Marion before posting this.

Not sure what all the hub-bub is about recycling?  I highly recommend the book Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action.  The author, Matthew Sleeth, made me realize taking care of the planet is not just a good thing to do, but a commandment in that is it all about loving my neighbor, as he describes the impact that not taking care of the planet has on everyone.  If you at all have a chance to pick up a copy, I guarantee is will be eye-opening and convicting, and will make you look at how you live differently. 

Please see below for both Marion residents and residents outside Marion, but inside Grant County:

Recycling in Marion:
If you're in city limits, you put your recycling out in front of your house the same day as you put out your trash.  You can use any kind of bin to put the recycling out, or a cardboard box (which is able to be recycled itself).  The city has outsourced recycling to Wabash Valley Recycling (#765.662.1611).

Items you can recycle in Marion curbside:
  • paper, cardboard
  • glass - any
  • plastic - ANY # inside the triangle on the bottom of the plastic
Note: these items that are picked up in Marion do NOT need to be sorted - they can all go in the same bin. 



If you are not in Marion city limits, you can drop your items off at the Grant County Recycling Center, which is between Marion and Gas City (address is 3939 Garth Wait Road).  The Grant County Recycling Center only takes items for recycling when they are open.  Their hours are as follows:

Open hours for Grant County Recycling Center:
Tues & Thurs - 8am - 4pm
Wed - 8am - 6pm
Sat - 8am - 1pm
Closed Mon/Fri/Sun

The Grant County Recycling Center takes pretty much anything that can be recycled, including:
  • plastics (only #1 or #2 that is marked inside the triangle on the bottom of the plastic)
  • glass (all colors)
  • paper, cardboard
  • batteries
  • used motor oil
  • paint (for a small fee)
  • florescent light bulbs (for a small fee)
  • appliances (small fee may apply)
  • electronics (small fee may apply)
  •  Things they don't take
    • windows
    • furniture
    • carpets
    • building material
Questions for Grant County Recycling Center?  Call #765.677.6044

9 comments:

  1. Thanks! I am planning a trip to the GCRC soon! :) Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaena! I have a large pile of batteries to take myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great book choice---which covers recycling as well as other "green" topics like renewable energy---is Green, American Style by Anna Clark. She cross-references Matthew Sleeth a lot in her book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julie - I haven't heard of that one, but will have to check it out! I'm currently working my way through "Green Mamma" - when I'm finished, I'll have a post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Marion, Grant County. Where can I recycle plastic bags?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annette, you can recycle plastic bags in your curbside recycling container, at stores-such as Wal-Mart or Meijer, or at the Grant county recycling center.

    Does anyone know if paperboard (the milk containers or orange juice type containers) or Styrofoam is recyclable anywhere through mail? I know Grant County will not accept them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I have a couple hundred pounds of glass free for the taking. You may contact me at top.gun999@hotmail.com I live a couple miles north of Seeetser

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, so much, Julie! I really appreciate this information. I am going to put a link to this blog post on my Face Book page, if this is ok with you. I work at Grant Blackford Mental Health as an addictions therapist at Milestone Services. Most of my contacts on FB are people who work within that agency or are in recovery from addiction issues in the surrounding counties in the state. These are all people who are trying to help the community or are on a spiritual journey through the 12 step programs, such as AA, NA or Celebrate Recovery and are attempting to follow a spiritual path in life.
    I appreciate the reference to the book also. I will read it. Thank you so much for all of these resources! It took the work out of what I needed to find out today. We recently moved and have tons of cardboard boxes that need to be recycled. I will wait until I hear from you about posting this to my facebook page, as I do not want to publish this broadly without your permission.
    With Gratitude,
    Tammy Nunemaker

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told you can pickup blue recycling bags at our local library is this true?

    ReplyDelete