Saturday, May 26, 2012

Awesome Super-Hero Birthday Cakes

My boys both have birthdays in April, just 11 days apart, so we have always had a "joint" brothers birthday party for them.  This year they wanted to do a "Super-Hero Birthday Party", since they're into all things super-hero.  Even though they are having a joint bday party, I feel like they should each have their own cake to blow their candles out, so I checked out the price at Meijer (I think their cakes are yummy and my boys like to stare at them when we are shopping there), and discovered for a half sheet cake for each, I was looking at about $21 x 2 = $42.  Yikes!  A wee too rich for my blood for something that will be devoured by little people, so I decided I needed to figure out something else that would make my kiddos feel special & loved, but wouldn't break the bank. 

I looked online for super-hero cake toppers, thinking I could save a bundle by just making them each a box cake from home, and found that even the edible ones (and cheapo plastic ones) were still going to cost me a good chunk of change.  As I was looking at these silly plastic cake-toppers that weren't even that cool, I had an idea.... what about just getting super-hero toys, using them as cake-toppers, and having that also be their bday gift?  After a little online investigation and some Kohl's coupon usage, I found some really cool batman cars for only $13.99 (Kohls originally priced them at $36.99 each, but then they were on sale, plus I had a coupon for an additional 30% off = $13.99 each total).  Did you know that if you find something online at kohls.com you can go into a Kohls store and order it from their kiosks and have things shipping to your home for FREE?  Sounds too good to be true... but it is!

The week of their birthday I made up the frosting from scratch (I could have just used a tub of frosting, but they're loaded with trans-fat, and I'm terrified of trans-fat... plus this was much better!) and froze it (one less thing to worry about the day of the party!).  Then, my mother-in-law, who was visiting, suggested something brilliant - make the cake ahead of time, lining the pan with parchment paper (we just used a $.99 box cake from Aldi's), and as soon as it comes out of the oven wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze immediately.  That way it keeps in all the moisture AND when you take it out the day of the event the frosting easily spreads on b/c the cake is frozen - it defrosts within a few hours and is perfectly ready to eat - moist and wonderful...  we did it, and it worked out GREAT!  My mother-in-law then decorated the cakes the day of the party, using sprinkles & a fork to make a super-hero fight scene (candles are from Dollar Store)... they looked awesome!  And, they tasted awesome!  And, best yet, my boys LOVED them and two months later, they have played with the toys on the top every single day since the party!  Yeah!!!


Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

(From Foodnetwork.com)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
  • Optional: Add food coloring to desired color

Directions

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.





No comments:

Post a Comment